Tuesday, April 30, 2013

It's my job

Yesterday morning after I dropped off my 5 y/o at preschool I set off to run my errands. I only have 2 hours to get it all done so I cram in as much as I can in that allotted time, but with a 2 y/o & a 6 mo old in tow it's not always easy. My first stop was the post office & I mailed 4 items. An older lady (probably in her 60s) was coming in & saw me rounding up my son & picking up the baby in her carrier. She made the comment "I don't know how you moms do it with the little ones." I just smiled & said "yeah". It got me thinking. Did she ever have children? Maybe she couldn't relate? Maybe she did have children & she never went out with them in tow or maybe she just left them with a sitter. Who knows? What I do know is that I just do it. It's like being on auto pilot. I'm a mom & I if I want to get stuff done then the kids come along & I make do the best way I can. Yes sometimes they act like caged crazy animals hyped up on sugar, but sometimes they are very cooperative & angelic (which makes me wonder when the storm will hit later). I've learned to include them to help (like putting a letter in the mail slot or carrying a package or helping pick grocery items off the shelf) which makes it easier. I may not always be graceful at it, but it gets done whatever it is. It's part of being a mom. All you moms out there know that we are on constant alert. We have to see everything all the time while doing our mom job. We can juggle a dozen things at the same time. We have to have fast reflexes to grab that toddler as they zoom out the store & make a dash for the parking lot while at the same time carrying the groceries & the baby. I never knew being a mom would be so challenging & rewarding at the same time until I became a mom. As many of us have said, "it's the hardest job you'll ever have, but the best job too". Some day I'll get to sit back & relax, but until them I'll be like the Tasmanian Devil from the Bugs Bunny cartoon whirling around like a tornado.

No comments:

Post a Comment