Sunday, April 30, 2017

Happy Halloween at Green River Lake State Park, KY 10/31/16

We hadn't really talked much about costumes until last minute and I told my kiddos that I didn't want to buy any at the store. I felt we should come up with ideas & create our own. I thought that would be more fun and we could really use our brains to come up with something different. The park was having a big Halloween festival weekend to include a costume contest (along with a bunch of other activities) so I thought we should come up with something special. I quickly went to Pinterest to come up with ideas because you know I'm not THAT creative. I presented several ideas to the kids. We narrowed it down to a family of smores or a glow in the dark stick family. They chose the glow in the dark family & boy was that totally easy to make. Of course it kinda back fired because the contest was at 3pm (hello we need darkness) and we didn't sign up ahead of time for the contest so they couldn't participate. No biggie. We kicked back on the grass with our 2 pups and watched others parade across the stage in their costumes & guess what? There was a smores family. Whew! Dodged that one. I had to leave for work, but made sure their “costumes” were all ready. Trick or treating started at 5pm & it was still light outside so no one could see the full effect of their glow in the dark stick figure costumes.



I was so bummed out when hubby told me & I felt bad for them, but from what hubby said they still had fun getting candy. Guess that's what it's all about eh? Several people commented that “I bet you'll look great once it gets dark”. Well they did look great (I saw the pics), but no one really got to see them because by then trick or treating was over & everyone went inside. Total bummer. I felt like I totally screwed up Halloween this year & I hoped my kids didn't feel embarrassed. However, the next morning after I got up they told me all about the loads of candy they got & “it's ok our costumes didn't glow” they still had fun. I felt much better after hearing that. I was ever so grateful that hubby took them out trick or treating & he took lots of pictures for me. I'm usually the one doing it all & he just walks along. Kudos to him. We may be doing things differently now & no longer living in a regular house, but I still want them to have the same fun & traditions that we used to have.

Yes this Halloween was a different one for all of us. New “home”, new location, new lifestyle, new job. It was the first time in 9 years that I missed trick or treating with my kids. It broke my heart, but I had to work. This is the part of having a job that I don't like. The part where you miss those special moments with your kiddos & the memories to be made. I didn't HAVE to have this job, but I signed up for it & planned on finishing the season as part of my agreement, plus now that we're full time travelers we need the workamping experience to add to our resumes. Yes there will be more Halloweens and other holidays to share, but simply put it just sucked. I had mixed emotions about working especially when something special was coming up. I haven't had a job since before my oldest was born and I've been there for everything for all 3 of my babies. Every roll over, crawl, step, run, booboo, birthday, holiday, you name it & mama was there enjoying every single moment. What's crazy is that for the last 9 years part of me wanted a job so I felt like I was pulling my weight financially (even though we were doing just fine) and here I was finally working & I was feeling guilty for leaving my babies at home. I can't win with my emotions. I know I'm not alone when it comes to this. I'm just grateful we are blessed with hubby's military retirement so I don't have to work all the time. I know many don't have that so I count my blessings. We can just enjoy our travels and create memories without having to seek out our next job. Blessings indeed. In the end my babies had a fun evening and that's all I wanted for them. Now to eat their candy!

No comments:

Post a Comment